Sorghum stuffed peppers is a straightforward plant-based dish that’s made with nutrient-packed substances like beans, veggies, and avocado. However the star of the present is the entire grain sorghum that provides this dish plant-based protein, fiber, and B-vitamins.
Bonus—it’s naturally gluten-free and non-GMO.
As soon as these peppers are cooked and able to eat, prime them with some yummy toppings like avocado and salsa for a nutritious meal with some entire grain goodness.
This recipe was initially created for The United Sorghum Checkoff Program.
- 1 cup entire grain sorghum, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium rooster broth
- 2 cups water
- Cooking spray
- 4 massive crimson bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dietary yeast
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and patted dry with paper towel
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced skinny
- 4 sprigs recent cilantro
- 1 ½ Tbsp diced crimson onion
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 lime wedges, sliced skinny
- ¼ cup salsa
Methods to Make It
- Add rooster broth and water to a saucepan and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Add sorghum and cut back warmth to a simmer. Cowl and prepare dinner for 60 minutes, or till sorghum is tender. Take away from warmth, fluff with fork, and let cool, at the least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 levels F and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a big mixing bowl, mix cooked sorghum, salsa, garlic, dietary yeast, cumin, chili powder, corn, spinach, and pinto beans. Combine till mixed.
- Stuff peppers with combination till all peppers are full, place on baking sheet, and canopy with tin foil.
- Bake for half-hour. Take away foil and bake for an additional 10-Quarter-hour, or till peppers are tender.
- Take away from oven. High every pepper with a dollop of Greek yogurt, avocado slices, a dollop of salsa, crimson onion, and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.
Lauren Manaker MS, RDN, LD, CLEC
Lauren Manaker is an award-winning registered dietitian, e book creator, and recipe developer who has been in apply for nearly 20 years. Learn extra
Submit supply: eatthis